Monday, February 23, 2009

The source of Joy

It is always a wonderful experience to open THE ANALECTS to get some quaint but fresh understanding of life.

In chapter one, the Master said:" Is it not a pleasure, having learned something, to try it out at due intervals? Is it not a joy to have friends come from afar? Is it not gentlemanly not to take offence when others fail to appreciate your abilities?"

I was reading this when I was in Peking International Airport back to Sep 4, 2007. That was the first time that I have the chance to take a plane to come to America, leaving my parents, sister and brother at the check-in gate. I still remember the strong feelings I had when I passed the entrance and sit alone on a chair, waiting for my plan to take me to my bright future. I decided to read the book to keep me away from missing my family.

It is indeed a pleasure to try what I have learned, at due intervals. This is just what I have been feeling when I was in Wuhan University. Back to 2003, it was the time that I first get to know economics at Instute of Advanced Study (IAS). At that time, many courses at IAS were taught by graduate students. It was and still is my dream to teach thus I was passioned to be one of those graduate students. I started to teach Econometrics in Sep 2005, although I got into this area for only about 16 months. I was indeed lucky at that time. It is still very clear to me that I was preparing for my first lecture in the libary. I wrote my notes and then practice them, since it was the first time that I started to teach economics. Also, it was the first time that I taught Econometrics, using a (an excellent) book written in English. Though I have known all the materials well and even had some advanced training in the subject, I felt it was good to think everything over and over again, to gain a better intuition and understanding. It was then exciting to practice what I have learned for the lectures I have the chance to give. It was a wonderful memory. Since I started everything from the beginning, and every point came later had some source of what I have presented earlier. I present preliminaries, ask questions, prompt the stuents to think, and offer intuition behind the stories. My understanding in Econometrics has been greatly enhanced, my intuition is getting better and my pleasure in the area is exploding, reaching others too.

It was through my practice of what I have learned that I had the chance to share with others the valuable journey in Econometrics. Although I had hard times to learn, to practice and to make it perfect, it is through the experience of sharing that I realized the value of life and find the source of pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment